Friday, October 17, 2008

Attack of the Beagle  

4 comments


Like I said before Roxie has adjusted pretty well to city life but there's something we still disagree on every time we go for a walk... There are little fried chicken restaurants scattered all around and apparently it is custom to just throw the bones on the street. While Roxie loves this custom I'm not too fond of it. For those of you that don't know, chicken bones (any bird bone) are harmful for dogs because they're hollow and brittle and then can splinter and cause internal bleeding. I have tried my hardest to keep her from eating these bones but it is practically impossible because there are so many and her hound senses are better than mine. She never mastered the skill of dropping and so that means I have to pry her mouth open to get anything out. She also never gets sick from them and hasn't had any problems thus far. So I pick my battles. Well on one occasion, she grabbed a bigger bone than normal and I decided this was a battle worth fighting. I pryed her mouth open like I've done all her life and as I'm trying to grab the bone out she was able to clamp down on my finger! She has never bitten anybody or harmed anything before, besides maybe a grasshopper. I was shocked and very upset that my little baby would do this to me. She apparently couldn't tell the difference between my finger and the chicken bone--for the only thing on her mind was that she wasn't going to give up that bone. So I had to pry her mouth open again to get my finger out. She got me pretty good and deep and so I had to walk back to the apartment with blood dripping from my finger and Roxie looking up at me wondering why I was upset. It wasn't to the bone but there were layers of skin and fat cells coming out of the wound. Due to not being on insurance I had to use my medical skills from my old job and take care of it the best I could. Well it has healed over with no infection and all that remains is a deep tissue scar and messed up finger nail.

What next?

You can also bookmark this post using your favorite bookmarking service:

Related Posts by Categories



4 comments: to “ Attack of the Beagle


  • 10/20/2008 7:19 AM  

    We come home from camping and what do we find???? Christi has updated/started her blog!!!! What a fun welcome home:) LOVE it and can't wait to watch more! We miss you and are praying for you. You need to learn some pick off lines for those guys trying to charm you with their pick up lines!


  • 10/20/2008 3:54 PM  

    Woohoo!! This is exciting to see your blog. I really like and and look forward to all the adventures. Sorry about your fingers. Roxie doesn't look dangerous but maybe you can train her to attack those aggressive guys.


  • 10/24/2008 11:59 PM  

    Looks like the NYC adventures have begun! I'm excited to hear all about it!


  • 12/17/2008 8:31 PM  

    Christi,
    It looks like it's about time for you to update again! Come on, there's got to be more going on in NY since this happened! Write about your retreat or something. ♥